Friday 2 August 2013

Hay Does Vintage

I think this is the first time that I've ever stripped off to my knickers and little tshirt in a corner of the Buttermarket! Admittedly, the corner was well screened with blankets hung on the railings, and an old-fashioned wooden screen, so it could be used as a changing room.
Hay Does Vintage are having a sale in there, with about half a dozen stalls selling clothes, and jewellery, and bags and bric a brac. I had a very pleasant time browsing on my way to do a bit of shopping around town. I got a brooch shaped like a leaf - and then I noticed something unusual among the cotton print dresses on another rail.
It's a - well, I suppose one word for it is a "siren suit". Or you could call it a rather posh boiler suit, or overalls. It's double-breasted, in a dark blue silky material, quite thick - and it's my size. I think it must have been made in the 1980s - there are shoulder pads - and it's long enough in the legs and sleeves to fit me perfectly. All I need is a utility belt (and goggles), and I could be an airship engineer doing Steampunk cosplay.
("Cosplay" is a word that means dressing up in costume, usually at SF conventions, something I was doing long before there was a word for it!).
It's even smart enough for me to wear for work, so I think I did rather well.

No comments: