Tuesday 11 February 2014

Getting Prepared

It's still raining, with more on the way, so I thought it was time to make preparations. A friend told me that Golesworthy's (outdoor clothing and camping supplies and so on) are doing a special offer on little camping stoves.

I have fairly bleak memories of huddling round a weedy little primus stove, years ago when I was camping out while working on an archaeological dig. It used to take us about twenty minutes to get the water to boil for a cup of tea, while we sat freezing - and that was in summer!

I think they may have improved since then. For a start, this one comes in its own carrying case, so it's not going to wobble like the old ones did, and the gas comes in something that looks like a spray can.

So, I have candles, and a little stove, and books to read, and a decent bottle of whisky. I think I'm ready for the next power cut!

No comments: