Monday 28 April 2014

The Festival Booklet is out!

The Festival programme has been available online for a while, but today we got a delivery of the printed programmes. This year's arty cover shot is of buttercups.
I've already booked the One Special Thing that I'm going to see - Steven Moffat of Doctor Who and Sherlock fame - but today I went through the programme rather more carefully to see if there was anything else that caught my eye.

Phil Rickman is speaking about Magus of Hay, along with an Icelandic crime writer, and Barbara Erskine is talking about her Battle of Britain romance.
There are several talks about Vikings, with the British Museum exhibition still on. The Fonz, Henry Winkler, will be here to talk about his children's books (will children know who the Fonz is? Their parents almost certainly will).
Carrie Fisher is also here - Princess Leia herself!
There's Billy Bragg and the Pub Landlord, and a talk about the recent Dorstone Dig - but that's on a Sunday, so I won't be able to get to that.
Jenny Agutter and a couple of other people are talking about Call the Midwife. I wonder if she'd answer any questions about her other recent work, like the role of the Professor in Minister of Chance - and wasn't she one of the committee that voted to blow up New York in the Avengers Assemble movie?
Nicky Gumbel, creator of the Alpha Course, will be talking about his faith - I did half an Alpha Course once, to give support to a chap who was considering Christianity, but then decided he preferred the Goddess!
The great Bill Bailey will be closing the Festival with his one man show, his Remarkable Guide to Modern Living (but that is £25).

Eventually, though, I settled on Jonathon Porritt talking about a sustainable future, and the Alegria Trio playing "an East-West fusion of classical traditions and contemporary improvisation." It was the mention of a lute as one of the instruments that swung it for me. So tomorrow I'll trot round to the ticket office and see if there are any tickets left.

2 comments:

The Comet said...

I thought you said Bill Hailey was appearing! Now that would be good.

Eigon said...

Not without the assistance of a mad man in a blue box, I think!