Thursday 20 April 2017

Fantastic Night at the Baskie

The ballroom was packed - I oounted 26 musicians at one point, so there was only time for a couple of songs each. Fortunately there were a lot of songs where everyone could join in, including one song that Becky started a capella, with guitarists gradually joining in round the room.
Susan passed round photocopies of a painting of George, the dragon and the maiden, and read out a UA Fanthorpe poem about it (where the maiden ponders whether she really wants to be rescued, the dragon complains that the painter missed his feet off, and George comes with diplomas in dragon management).
My contribution to the evening was two songs I sang at the EasterCon filk session (filk is science fiction themed folk music) - the first one was based on Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy, and I got the songwriter to autograph my songbook. I sang the second one (Welsh History 101, failed), looked up from the book at the name badge of the chap sitting opposite me, and realised he was the songwriter - so I got him to autograph my book, too!
And then there was the new trio, who sang Copacabana with enthusiastic accompaniment.
A great time was had by all!

No comments: