Saturday 10 June 2017

Jumble Sales and Ladies who Lunch

I had quite a bit of stuff that I had intended to sell outside the house, over the Festival. Rain stopped play for that, so I loaded up the Islaymobile - and filled it to the top. This is the shopping trolley I used to wheel my dog around in, when she got too old and arthritic to walk far. It still comes in useful now and again.
I was heading up the road to the church to leave the jumble when I saw Em and Roz coming down. They were off to have lunch at the Old Electric Shop. So I trundled up to the church, unloaded my jumble, dropped the trolley off at home, and joined them for coffee.
After a bit, they started thinking about dessert. "Shall we stay here, or shall we move on?" they mused - eventually opting for scones at Booths Café.
It was a wise choice. The scones at Booths are superb, crispy on the outside and soft in the middle, with a choice of three different jams and cream. We ate them with a pot of Earl Grey tea - a lovely way to spend lunchtime for a change.

And today it was the jumble sale, in the Parish Hall, in aid of St Michael's Hospice and doing improvements to the church. It was a real old-fashioned jumble sale, with clothes piled high on tables for customers to rummage through, and toys, bric a brac, books, and (of course) refreshments in the corner. And a raffle, at the door! Hardly anything was priced, and most things seemed to be 50p when you asked.
I got a lid for my wok, a cardigan, a denim shirt and a picture of the harbour at Mousehole, Cornwall which is now hanging in my bathroom.

No comments: