Sunday 28 March 2021

Going for the Covid Jab

 When I first got the letter with an appointment for a Covid jab, they wanted to send me to Builth Wells, at around 6pm.  Which is impossible on public transport.  When I phoned up to re-schedule, though, the ladies at the other end of the phone were very helpful, and managed to find me an appointment at Bronllys hospital, at a time when I could get there and back by bus.

The next thing to do was to check that the bus times were right - I haven't been on a bus for months, after all.  There is a 20 minute discrepancy between the paper timetable at the bus stop and the timetable online.  A phone inquiry was inconclusive, but an email confirmed that the online time (20 minutes later than the paper timetable time) was correct.

I turned up early anyway, just in case, but the bus did come just after 12.41, which was the online time, dropping me right at the entrance of the Hospital in plenty of time for my appointment.

The vaccination centre is easy to find - it's in the Concert Hall, the first building you come to when you walk up the drive, and everyone there was friendly and helpful.

I'd taken my own mask, but I was issued another at the door, and some hand sanitizer.  I just had to confirm my details at the desk - I'd taken my passport as ID, but I didn't need it.  I was seen very quickly - they've set up a line of cubicles along the hall, and the lady who did the injection was lovely.  I can't remember when I last needed to be injected with anything (dentists don't count), so I was expecting it to be more painful than it was - just a very slight pinprick.

I got a little card with the vaccination details - I had the Astra Zeneca vaccine, and I should get the second jab in eleven weeks' time.

I then stepped out of the other side of the cubicle to a row of chairs, and sat down for 15 minutes.  The Army was helping there - it was a corporal who showed me to my seat.

And then it was done - and I had two hours to wait for the bus back to Hay!

I was warned by other people who have had the vaccine that I might feel like death warmed up today, but I've been one of the lucky ones, because I feel fine.

No comments: