Monday 29 March 2021

Pottering Round Bronllys

 I took the OS map with me to Bronllys, but I didn't want to go too far, or off the beaten track, in case I did have an adverse reaction to the Covid jab.

So I started by walking up Pont-y-Wal Lane, up the hill and round the back of the Hospital grounds.  I went a little further than Pont-y-Wal Farm, and stopped to admire the view and watch the red kites gliding overhead.


I've never seen so many red kites on the same day in this area.  There was one over Hay car park when I was waiting for the bus, four or five over Talgarth, and three or four more over Bronllys.  By the end of the day I was getting quite good at picking out their silhouette, even without seeing the forked tail - they're very elegant birds.

I was also delighted to see some long tailed tits in the woodland as I was coming back down the lane.

Back in the main village, I went to look round the churchyard.  I'd forgotten that St Mary's Bronllys has a medieval detached bell tower.


I sat in the church porch for a while, reading my book (Time's Anvil by Richard Morris - I was reading the bit about Ice Ages), drinking my flask of coffee and nibbling my biscuits.  And a clementine - I don't survive entirely on chocolate!

A little further along the same side of the road as the church is a moated site, at the end of the cul-de-sac Fosse Way.


Here's a corner of the moat:


The paper timetables at the bus stops bore no relation to the actual times of the buses, but I had written down the correct time before I came out - 4.10pm, after which there were no more buses until Monday morning.  So I got to the bus stop in plenty of time.  The bus was on time, which was good, because it was getting pretty cold and blustery by the time it came.


No comments: