Wednesday 15 June 2022

Hay Pride

 I couldn't go to the Pride event at Hay Castle on Sunday, because I was working, but I did wear my rainbow mask (bought from Golesworthy's) and all my Pride badges - rainbow, LGBT bought at Country Supplies, Ace flag, and Ace turtle - and one that said "Queer the Fiction: Write the Rainbow".  One lovely couple who had been at the castle admired the Queer the Fiction badge, and asked where I got it.

"WorldCon 2019 in Dublin," I said.

"Oh, you're just showing off now!" they laughed.

There was a big procession, with a Samba band, from the Globe to the Castle, and later there was Japanese Taiko drumming.  In the Castle grounds there were food stalls and market stalls, including one from Otherworldz at the Craft Centre, and there was music from local musicians throughout the day.  And a dog show, in which every dog was Best in Show.  There was also a panel on sexuality and gender in the education room of the Castle.  The day took a year to plan, and was organised by Graham Nolan and Helen Campbell, with compere Boo La Croux, local drag artist.

The Globe is continuing its support of the local queer community by offering a free monthly night for meeting, discussing various issues, and live music or discos.  

There will be another Pride event next year - I'm hoping to have the day off for that one!

No comments: