Thursday 18 August 2022

A New Record Player

 Somewhere around twenty five years ago, I was given a second hand record player to play my collection of vinyl.  Just before I moved house, the record player died, and I decided to wait until I'd moved to get a new one, so I'd have one less thing I needed to move.

So last week I headed into Hereford, and walked out to Currys.  The cheapest turntable they had was £89, but the sales assistant refused to sell me one  because they only had the display model left.  I think he was hoping I'd buy something more expensive, but I just shrugged, said I'd have to wait a bit longer to listen to my records, and left.

There's a secondhand electrical place on Eign Gate (I got my camera from there) but they didn't have any turntables in stock.

I wasn't sure where else to try when I came out of there - until I looked across the street at a shop which sells vintage stuff, and there was a turntable on display in the window.  It was in a bright red carrying case, and it cost me £25.  All I needed to do was to buy a lead to plug it in (and the nice young man assured me that, if it didn't work, I could bring it straight back).

So the next day I went to see Tim Pugh, on the Pavement, and he sorted me out with the correct lead.  The built in speakers don't seem to work very well, but I had free standing speakers which plugged in the back and work just fine - and for a lot less than £89!

1 comment:

ros said...

Well done that woman! Red carrying case too! I wish I had never got rid of my records :)