Monday 22 August 2022

Beaver Salami

 When I was in Hereford, I walked through the market hall to see if the Gwatkin Cider stall had any mead.  They didn't, but I did notice Charcuterie-Hereford, which sells all sorts of salami and sausage.

I've had venison before, but I'd never tried beaver!  In fact, it's such a rich salami that it's only 30% beaver, the rest of the meat being pork and beef.  The enthusiastic young man behind the counter told me that their more exotic meats mostly came from Hungary.  

The second time I passed by, a week later, he kindly cut a sausage in half for me so I could try the elk - if I'd bought the whole thing I'd be eating it for the rest of the year!

I'm not sure when I'll be going into Hereford again, but next time I want to try the moose!

They also had flyers for Hereford Indie Food festival, on August 27th and 28th.  As well as food, they've got a line up of DJs providing music.  Daytime entry to the event is £1, from 11am to 5pm, with under 12s free, and the evening tickets are £18 for 6pm till late (includes daytime entry).  In the evening it's music plus street food and beer, and during the day there are produce stalls.  Shepherds Ice Cream and Wye Valley Brewery will be there, as well as the Beefy Boys, Hundred House Coffee, Ludlow Gin and lots more.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beaver!! That's horrendous. As the 'exotic' meats come from Hungary, are they farmed? If they are, what are conditions like. Can hardly believe that in this conservation conscious age (hopefully) anyone would want to even sample such an item. Dreadful, dreadful, dreadful!
I hope that you have the courage to publish this comment.

Eigon said...

I don't usually respond to anonymous comments, but I thought this deserved a reply.
I looked up the company that produce the salami, and Serno Peda are actually based in Lithuania. This is what it says on their website:
"The company buys game meat from animals grown by farmers in Lithuania and from hunters with quality certificates testifying to the high quality of the raw material."

I am also a fan of releasing beavers into the wild in the UK, but occasionally wild animals need to be culled - and I was curious as to what they taste like. It's not as if it's going to be a staple part of my diet.
I have also eaten pigs I knew personally.

Anonymous said...

You may choose to eat meat but this is awful. Do you have no compassion!

Eigon said...

I have lots of compassion - as I said, I'm a great fan of re-introducing beavers into the wild here in the UK, and increasing their numbers.