Thursday 16 February 2023

Exhibitions in Hereford

 I had a few things I needed to do in Hereford today - but I was also told about exhibitions that are on at the moment in Hereford Cathedral.

I didn't have time to visit the crypt, where the blacksmithing exhibition from Herefordshire College of Arts is on until 22nd February, but I did enjoy the photographic exhibition in the nave.

A photographer called Peter Marlow went to all 42 Anglican cathedrals and photographed each one from the same perspective, facing East towards the main altar down the nave, and at the same time of day, dawn, using only natural light.  The resulting pictures are surprisingly bright, and there's about 900 years range of architectural styles on display, from the Romanesque round columns of Southwell to the post-Second World War Coventry.

Meanwhile, in the old Laura Ashley shop near Maylord Orchards, Herefordshire Photographic Society is using the window space to display photos by some of its members - there are some very good wildlife photos.

I also had fun in the Cider Museum, doing a bit of research into how cider is made, and the local cider apple varieties.  I came away with a bottle of their Kingston Black Apple Aperitif from the Somerset Cider Brandy Company.



No comments: