Saturday 4 February 2023

Something for Storytime

 I went to a small, informal meeting at the Library yesterday, to talk about arranging an AGM for HOWLS, the group that campaigned to save the Library from closure.  At the moment, the Library is in the middle of a five year contract that was negotiated with Powys County Council, but nobody knows what will happen when that five years is up, so it's probably best to be prepared - and because of Covid, there hasn't been a HOWLS AGM for three years.

While I was at the meeting, Janet happened to mention that Storytime at the Library was now doing very well, but that they didn't have many instruments for the little children to use.  

I happen to have a whole bag full of percussion instruments, which I used to use when I went singing at the acoustic sessions at the Baskie.  When the sessions started up again after lockdown, I just felt too tired on a Wednesday evening to go, even though I've been offered lifts.

So I decided to donate the instruments to Storytime (I picked most of them up at 50p each at charity shops anyway).

The librarian was delighted, and said she'd just put them on the top shelf above the bookshelves - in fact, just between two bookshelves where there is a decorative panel.  We watched the bag disappear as she let go of it, and heard the crash of tambourines and shakers as it fell to the floor - there was no top shelf behind the panel!  

Both of us started laughing.  She said she'd find a screwdriver, and take the panel off, and I suggested she just needed a long hook to lower down to catch the handles of the bag.  She was determined she'd get them out by Monday Storytime, however she does it!

No comments: