Friday 24 February 2023

Films Made in Hay and More Events

 The Royal British Legion Hub, in collaboration with Hay Castle, are hosting an event on Monday 6th March, at 11am, remembering all the film productions that have been made in Hay.  There have been quite a few of them - Dandelion Dead, a BBC series of Kilvert's Diary, and On the Black Hill.

I remember hiding round a corner while the cattle were driven up Broad Street for the title sequence of Dandelion Dead - the camera was up on a cherrypicker by the Clock Tower, and the modern phone box had been disguised as a market stall.  The Three Tuns had a big sign put up on the wall for the occasion, which Lucy wanted to keep, but I don't think the Council planning department were too thrilled by the idea, so it came down.

I was also hanging around the edges of Cusop Churchyard when they filmed the digging up of Mrs Armstrong's body.  In fact, we got quite friendly with the camera crew, and I gave them a couple of bottles of the dandelion wine I'd been making (I was experimenting with all sorts of rural lifestyle ideas at the time - so fruit wine, jam, drying herbs....  I wasn't actually very good at any of them, but at least that first batch of dandelion wine was drinkable!).

I wasn't around for the filming of On the Black Hill, but I can go around town and point out some of the places where scenes were filmed.

Also, at the Globe on Sunday 5th March, there will be a Seed Swap from 2pm.

And, while I'm looking at the events at the Globe, they are hosting a Pride Fundraiser this Sunday, the 26th February, from 5pm.  They will be having a discussion first, and then showing the film Pride from 7pm.

No comments: