Saturday 24 June 2023

Day Out in Brecon

 I had some stuff to take to a charity shop, and I was bored of going to Hereford, so I went to Brecon instead.  

The last time I went to Brecon was before the pandemic - I had planned to go to see the new library and museum when they opened, but never got round to it.  

The first change I noticed was all the new houses being built on the way into Brecon, above the hospital - and the new High School, which looks a bit grim with all the grey stone.

I was aiming for the Tenovus charity shop near the market hall, but they have moved to Bethel Square.  However, there was a Dial-a-Ride shop (chock full of stuff!) on the opposite corner, and they were very happy to take my donation.  

The cat welfare shop is still there, down the hill, and they had stuff spread all over the road on special offer.

And there was bric-a-brac in the market hall, along with stalls of knitted toys, knitting, sewing and art supplies, tools, and books.  

There have been some changes in the shops since I was last there - there seem to be more coffee shops now, and an art gallery filled with baskets where the Chinese restaurant used to be, opposite the museum.  I was pleased to see Brecon Tap was still there, and went in for a half (I forget the name of the beer, but it had 'Gold' in it and was light and refreshing).

By that time I only had about half an hour before the bus back to Hay, so I had a quick look in the new library and museum.  The little I saw was impressive, so I'll have to go back soon to see the rest!

I found the Boudicca statue, that used to be outside the old law court, round the back in the garden:


 



2 comments:

Siân Ifans said...

Blimey Leslie, it must have been a very long time since you’ve been to Brecon; Tenovus moved ages ago. Come back soon

Eigon said...

It was before lockdown! I'll certainly come back again soon!