Thursday 8 June 2023

Having My Photo Taken

 Botany and Other Stories are putting together a book in which they ask 100 people what their favourite flower is, and why.  Each person is asked to write 150 words, and the book is going to be illustrated with photos of the contributors.

So I was asked to contribute, and I wrote 150 words about snowdrops, and my memories of coming to Hay for the first time, and seeing snowdrops growing all down Cusop Dingle.

Last week, I met Patrick Dodds, the photographer for the project, half way up Cusop Dingle, to have my picture taken.  I'd got there a little bit early to find a place I might want the picture to be taken, and decided on the bridge over the stream where my second-favourite waterfall of that stretch is.  My favourite waterfall is just below Lower House, but you'd have to lean over the fence to get it into a picture!  So we started off there.

Patrick had seen a crab apple tree in bloom in the grounds of Lower House (a public footpath runs through their garden), so we went off to have a look at that.  Sadly, the blossoms had finished, but we did find a rather picturesque field gate opening into a field full of buttercups, so he took a few more photos there.  

I'm looking forward to seeing how they turn out.  

Francoise from Botany and Other Stories had told me that he was very respectful as a photographer, and had been very patient with the young Ukranian girl he photographed for the book, on the Warren.  He was very good at putting me at my ease, and we had a lovely conversation, ranging from stories about working for Richard Booth to performances of Shakespeare we'd seen.  

As we walked back into Hay, we met Francoise and Pierre.  "Ah, you two know each other?" Francoise asked.

"We do now!" I said.

No comments: