Friday 16 June 2023

Making Hay on the Warren

 There's been some discussion on Facebook about the Warren being cut for hay - the person who posted in the Community Facebook page thought that it should have been left until mid-July, because of the wildflowers and insects, while the people who actually manage the Warren made a case for cutting the grass now.

So this afternoon I went down to see for myself.





I think it's obvious from these photos that only part of the Warren has been cut for hay, with the remainder still having long grass.  This is in accordance with the management plan agreed with the National Parks, as Jeff Morgan said on Facebook.

While I was down there, I saw several butterflies, and damselflies - and an egret on the river.

1 comment:

Eigon said...

Oh, dear - it rained in the night, so all that hay that was drying so nicely will be soaked through.