Sunday 26 November 2023

Exhibitions at the Castle

 Yesterday I went up to the Castle to have a look at the new exhibitions.

There are three of them.

On the first floor, around the printing press, there are delicate pastel prints by Sue Hunt, done while she was on a residency in Osaka, Japan, at cherry blossom time.

Upstairs again, there's The Humble Mug - hand crafted mugs from a variety of potters, and all for sale.

Then in the art exhibition space is Dark Skies.  The room has been kept very dark, apart from illumination for the photographs, most of which are of the night sky, taken by Judy Goldhill.  There's also a recording playing in the background of ambient noises on the Brecon Beacons during a star gazing session.  Not all the pictures are local, though - one is of the Milky Way above Namibia.  I spent quite a bit of time in there - I like stars.

The exhibitions are all free, but you need to buy a ticket for the Castle to get to them.  They run until 7th January.

As a local, I can get a special discount ticket for £3, which lasts for three years!  I hadn't got round to doing it before, but I did it yesterday.  Unfortunately, they had run out of the passes temporarily, so I'll have to go back to pick mine up.  In the meantime, all the details were recorded with the highest technology - written in a school exercise book!

Outside on the Castle lawn were the tents for the Winter Festival, so I also slipped in there to look at the Festival bookshop, and came away with Sacred Britannia by Miranda Aldhouse-Green, who I was seeing later that afternoon.  She was talking about Welsh legends, but this book is about the gods and rituals of Roman Britain.

No comments: