Saturday 14 September 2024

Hereford Labyrinth

 I needed a new Senior Railcard (I have some plans for days out later in the year).  I tried to renew the card online, but the website wouldn't let me do it.

Thank goodness for ticket offices!  I went into Hereford yesterday and bought a new card over the counter in minutes.  The online version had to allow ten days for the card to be delivered.

So, while I was in Hereford, and had plenty of time, I decided to go in search of the Hereford Labyrinth.  I'd heard of this via the new local Pagan group that has a page on Facebook, the Herefordshire & Worcestershire Pagan, Witch and Spiritual Community - not exactly a snappy title, but does what it says on the tin, and it has 1.3k members!

The Labyrinth was built by volunteers, in the last few years, and the information online said it was on Castle Green.  So I walked all round Castle Green, without success.  There's a rather pretty footbridge across the Wye to Bishop's Meadow, so I thought I'd try there.  

On the way, I stopped at a coffee stall, and the lady there pointed me in the right direction.

It is, indeed, in Bishop's Meadow, surrounded by park railings, and free to anyone who wants to go in and walk the labyrinth, or sit on the benches around the edge.

The benches are just out of shot, in the corners of the fenced area.  The four quarters of the compass are marked with small stones around the edge, too - the labyrinth begins in the North East.

The difference between a labyrinth and a maze is that a maze has dead ends and you can get lost in them, whereas a labyrinth has one path that meanders towards the centre, and then out again.  It took me about ten minutes to reach the centre, walking slowly.  It's a very peaceful experience, and is often used as a method of meditation.




No comments: