Saturday 28 September 2024

Winter Festival

 The brochure for the Winter Festival is now out, and the tickets are flying out!  I went up to the box office this morning and was only just in time for the events I wanted to see.

The dates this year are Thursday 28th November to Sunday 1st December, and for the first time in years I'm going to miss the Switching on of the Christmas Lights on Friday evening, because I will he heading for the church to watch Father Richard play the organ for the film Metropolis!  (I could do both, but it would be a bit of a rush).

Then on Saturday morning I'm going to see George Nash talk about the Neolithic tombs of Wales, also in St Mary's Church.

Other highlights of the weekend are the Quentin Blake Exhibition and a talk on the demons, witches and ghosts of Christmas by Sarah Clegg, John Fitzpatrick and Blackthorn Ritualistic Folk at Hay Castle.

There's also a cello concert at St Mary's Church on Saturday evening, a guided walk on Sunday, Tom Bullough (local author) talking to artist Jackie Morris about Writing and Rivers, Natalie Haynes talking about Goddesses in Greek Myth, Jenny Eclair, Carol Vordeman, Paterson Joseph, Jonathan Dimbleby and David Olusoga, Luke Evans, Ali Smith and more!

There's also an online pass for people who can't be there in person to watch from home for selected events.

If I had unlimited funds, I'd be going to a lot more than two events!

I also find it interesting that one of the sponsors of the Winter Festival this year is Visit Seattle, which is where the World Science Fiction Convention will be held next year.

No comments: