Wednesday 28 March 2007

Red kites over Clyro!

"Have you got your little dog waiting for you outside?" I was asked as I went into the hairdressers' this morning.
I'd left her at home, so as soon as I'd been shorn, I took her out for a walk. We went over the bridge and, as she ran on ahead, I looked up. There was a buzzard circling - no, three buzzards. Then I saw the forked tails, and the much wider wingspan - two of them were red kites!
Red kites are common enough around Rhayader, where there's a feeding station that is open to the public at Gigrin Farm. It's a fantastic spectacle, and well worth spending an afternoon. There are walks round the farm too. Down here, though, red kites are still quite rare, so it's quite exciting to see two together - they may even be a breeding pair.

Meanwhile, Dr Wrench is looking for sponsors. He's going to run the London Marathon again, to raise money for Llewelyn Ward in Bronllys Hospital. This is the ward that he raised money for before, for the bed which he took to Cardiff with other protesters when the possible closure of the hospital was announced. Judging by the wave of protest that greeted the closure announcement, I don't think he'll have any trouble finding sponsors who want to keep the hospital open.

No comments: