Monday 25 February 2008

Council Offices

While I had the washing on in the launderette, I went round town delivering Fairtrade Friday leaflets to all the churches and chapels in town. I was also asked to put a few flyers in the Council Offices, so I thought the table in the pay office was probably the best place to put them.
As I went in, a lady from the Housing office stepped out and stopped me. "That office is closed now," she said. "You can't pay council tax here any more." She pointed out the posters on the door - instead of going to the Council Offices, now people will have to go to their local Post Office to pay. Which is good for the Post Offices, in these days when all the small, rural ones are under threat, but not so good for the Council Offices. People went in there for other things than council tax, like getting extra bin bags, and I don't know if those other services will still be available there yet.
I did leave the leaflets, though.

No comments: