Saturday 30 August 2008

Busy Day

Lots of things going on around Hay today.
There's a craft fair in the Buttermarket, with wood turned goods, and beautiful mohair sweaters, hats and cushions and woollen stuff. The hat lady was knitting, and the wool lady had her spinning wheel there.
At Health Matters on Broad Street, there's a meditation course going on, led by a Buddhist nun.
Down at the Co-op, they're having a Cow Girl Car Wash, in aid of Mind. I saw one of the girls, putting the sign up that said "Today" next to the Western style board that's been up all week at the turning to the bridge. She was wearing a checked shirt, and very skimpy shorts.
Over at the Three Tuns, there's a big birthday party going on. I know it's a birthday party, because you could hear them singing "Happy Birthday" all up and down the street.

Meanwhile, I saw Jane yesterday, and she asked me if I knew that mange was going round the dog population.
I'd seen Alfie, Islay's collie-spaniel cross friend, a day or so before - and he had huge bald patches all over his body, poor lad. Jane said that she thought the dogs might be picking up the infection on the Warren, so it might be as well to avoid the Warren for a bit.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The skimpy shorts on the cowgirl are called "Daisy Duke's" over here, and are named after a character in the 1980s TV show (and later movie) "The Dukes of Hazzard". Beats me why they'd be considered Western attire -- the show was set in Georgia, I think, which is on the Southeast coast. More hillbilly than cowgirl...

Laurie (from IBDoF)

Eigon said...

Golly, I remember the Dukes of Hazzard!
I was very into Georgette Heyer Regency romances at the time, and hazzard is a card game that was played then, so when the title was first announced, I was kind of expecting a costume drama with card sharps and duelling. Most disappointing when it turned out to be two Southern boys outwitting the local sheriff (and Boss Hogg, of course), but it grew on me.

Anonymous said...

Kind of like my confusion when "The Duchess of Duke Street" didn't have a coronet. (Loved the show anyway.)