Sunday 3 August 2008

Oxfam took over the Buttermarket on Saturday for their annual fete - which wasn't as good as the ACES one last week, I thought, even though Ken the Town Cryer was there. I got a lupin; it was one of my gran's favourite flowers, but the last one I bought was eaten to the ground by slugs. I'm hoping for better luck with this one.

Meanwhile, the landlord was clearing some trees at the back of our back gardens that had started to interfere with the electic cables going overhead. The difference is astonishing - we now have about half the garden again that is light enough to plant things! (Hence the lupin, for starters).
He did start burning some of the wood he'd cut, until Gordon from round the back came round to complain that his house was full of smoke and he was an asthma sufferer. So that was the end of the pyromania.
I only realised later that 1st August is the Pagan festival of Lammas, or Lughnasad, which is often celebrated with bonfires.

No comments: