Wednesday 20 August 2008

Honesty Bookshop

It must have seemed like a good idea this morning, when the sun was out, more or less. All the mouldy and soggy books in the Honesty Bookshop have been removed, and fresh stock has been put out. This is all surplus stock from the Castle, and a lot of it this time was good quality hardback fiction - and they were already getting wet by the time I passed by this evening. I spent a pleasant half hour, between showers, browsing, and picked up some treats.
For 50p each (if you're honest!) I got a Brother Cadfael and a Falco mystery I haven't read yet.
The Shield Ring, by Rosemary Sutcliff, is ex-lib, but a good reading copy, about the early Norman Lake District, and it's one of the few of her books with a female main character - in fact, I can't think of another one off hand.
Salley Vickers' Instances of the Number 3 went on my pile because I loved Miss Garnet's Angel.
I've read Thrones, Dominions before, but didn't have a copy. This is the Lord Peter Wimsey story that Jill Paton Walsh finished off from Dorothy Sayers' notes - and she got it just right, for me.
Then I found Holy Fools by Joanne Harris, who wrote Chocolat. I haven't read any of her books before, so this seemed as good a place as any to start.
I have read the Number One Ladies' Detective Agency stories, by Alexander McCall Smith, but I haven't tried any of his other books yet, so The Sunday Philosophy Club joined the pile, too.
So little time - and my shelf of Books to Be Read is groaning already!
And in the meantime, there are hundreds of other books that deserve to be rescued.

No comments: