Monday 12 January 2009

First Signs of Spring

I took Islay up the Wyecliff this morning, and there, sheltered under the bushes, were the first snowdrops, just starting to open. That's always the first small signal that spring is on the way for me. I love snowdrops, and snowdrops were blooming everywhere when I first came to Hay.
As we walked back across the bridge, I looked down at Booth Island. The ice has all gone now, but there was something white on the water - the swans are back! Two signs of spring in one day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I so enjoy your reports from Hay!

I too love snow drops and first experienced them in Hay.

We used to stay at Pemberton Minor Cottage, when it was still on holiday letting.

King Richard and Hope Booth came to dinner one night.

Hope brought a bunch of fresh snow drops, just picked from their garden. Lovely!

Nicest hostess gift I've ever received.

Jill

Eigon said...

The gardens at Brynmelin are no longer as they were in their formal heyday, but can still be very beautiful.