Saturday 31 January 2009

Plans for the Limited

I met the lady from Fleur de Lys going down to the bank yesterday.
"Are you on the Internet?" she asked. "Well, go and look at the Brecon Beacons site and see what they're going to do to the Limited. They want to make my shop into toilets! I was that upset! I mean, fancy finding out like that - they could have come round and mentioned it to me."
She rents her shop from the Limited, and came over to the new owners from Richard and Hope (who also never told her what was going on).
So I went and looked at the planning applications, and it was really quite interesting.
The property list for Broad Street is well out of date, though. June's Wool Shop hasn't been there for years, and neither has Brennan's Books.
The application for the Limited had some information on it that I hadn't known before. When the shop was built, in 1886, there were no windows in the front - there were wrought iron gates across instead. Williams and Sons displayed agricultural machinery there (that bit I did know) which is why the front of the shop is built as a ramp, to get them in and out. The windows came later. The plan is to replace the windows with double glazing, to look as much like the present facade as possible, which seems reasonable. They also want to put a passenger lift in, for disabled customers, and toilets, and some sort of skylights in the roof.
They put the application in in November, but it hasn't been passed yet - perhaps that's why they haven't told anyone so far.

No comments: