Monday 5 January 2009

There's more to it than just selling books

We got a phone call at the shop today, inviting us to a funeral.
A regular customer, a delightful old gentleman, died over the Christmas holidays, and his relatives were organising the funeral - and thought we would be suitable people to invite.
It got me thinking - I bet they weren't ringing round the old chap's local butcher, or greengrocer, or the staff of the local supermarket. Books are a different sort of commodity - and when you get a regular customer, it's not just a commercial relationship. Book sellers and book collectors share an interest - I've had the most fascinating conversations with some customers about the books they want. Sometimes they buy something, and sometimes they don't, but it's always interesting.
When I first started working for Richard Booth, he told me to think of books as 'lumps of coal' - but they're not like that at all.

No comments: