Tuesday 12 May 2009

I'm Thinking of Cloning Myself!

I came home from work at lunchtime, thinking I'd pop down to Hay and Brecon Farmers for a tray of dog food for Islay. This is not so much a 'pop' any more as a stately saunter, as Islay doesn't do fast these days.
I hadn't even got as far as my front door when Mary leaned out of the window over the chip shop, shaking a duster. "Could you come round after?" she asked. "We need a scan doing." I last worked at Broad Street Book Centre over a year ago, but it seems I'm still the only person who knows how the scanner works! I didn't have time straight away, but I'll try to get round to it tomorrow!
Then, at the top of Newport Street, Adele stopped her car and called me over. What was I doing at 2.30pm?
I said I'd be back at work.
"Couldn't you say you had a tummy ache or something?" she asked. "There's a magician giving a talk in Cusop. I just had lunch with him and he's wonderful!"
I made my excuses, and got the dog food (and the pig's ear - Islay always gets a pig's ear at Hay and Brecon Farmers, which she bears home in triumph and eats in the back garden).
I'd no sooner got the frying pan on the stove than Old Dave appeared at the open front door from across the road. He wanted to know where he could find out about local Roman sites, as a lady had shown him a glass bead he thought might be Roman, and he thought he might like to try a bit of fieldwalking. I told him where to find Boatside Roman Camp (it's just above the Offa's Dyke Path, across the river), and suggested he drop into Brecon Museum, where the ladies are all very helpful and friendly, for any further advice.
Then I went back to work for a bit of peace and quiet!

2 comments:

Briar said...

Hiya,

This is not a comment as such. I can't remember your name. We were once on one of Lyn's writing courses together and you know me from busking and the market. Anyway, I wondered if you would mind if I link your blog to my new website 'Hay What's On', and whether you'd be up for linking back to me.

I am slightly treading on toes with this website I think, but as I'm not selling advertising I'm not actually going to take business from anyone. I'd appreciate your thoughts on the site. If you wanted to sign up that would be great because I'm sure you will hear about things I may have missed.

I'm finding your blog very entertaining.

See you,
Briar

Eigon said...

Hi, Briar,
Happy to link to your website - I try to link to anything local that I know about.
I remember you at the writing class, too - and I'm Lesley.
See you around Hay!