Saturday 2 May 2009

A Lovely Day in the Garden

And not just my garden - I went up to Garibaldi Terrace to the Plant Swap organised by Friends of the Earth as well.
I had no idea the gardens behind the cottages were so extensive, and the garden of No 2 is gorgeous, with oval beds dotted around the lawn, trellises and stone seats at intervals. I took along some old seeds that I'd found at the back of the cupboard, which are probably still all right, and I came away with a little courgette plant that went straight into the new little bed I dug in the lawn, to keep the onion sets company.
The landlord was telling me that, up until 1978, the garden came right up to the back wall of the three cottages, with no back doors at all, and it was only then that the back yard was excavated and the back doors put in. He remembered climbing out of the bedroom window almost straight out onto the back garden as a boy.
Originally, the building was stables, which were converted into three cottages.

No comments: