Saturday 30 May 2009

Tempest in the Castle Grounds

Not a real one, fortunately - the Shakespeare version, on a blisteringly hot afternoon, and with a small but appreciative audience. Anvil Productions were performing, on tour from Theatr Colwyn in North Wales. The website is www.anvilproductions.co.uk There was quite a bit of cross-dressing, and doubling up on parts, as you'd expect from a small touring company - but they were very good indeed, especially Prospero and Ariel. And with no electronic amplification. When Prospero did the "this rough magic do I now abjure" speech, I think you could have heard him in the Market Square!
I love seeing Shakespeare outdoors - the Dream at Regent's Park, Tempest at the Rollright Stones, Twelfth Night and As You Like it at Kinnersley Castle....(and for Twelfth Night the cast and audience stuck it out to the end in rain so hard that the makeup was washing off the actors' faces!)
I took Islay along - I thought it was time she got a little culture - and she behaved impeccably.
The Castle is a good location for outdoor theatre, and I hope they do more up there.

No comments: