Wednesday 6 May 2009

King Richard's Protest March

I don't know - I go away for a weekend, and when I come back....

I was doing Have A Go Archery at Dilwyn Show on Bank Holiday Monday, as part of Drudion's living history display - in between the showers. In spite of the rain and the cold wind, it was good fun - I particularly liked the tractor cab full of balloons for a 'Guess how many balloons...' competition.

When I got back to Hay, I took Islay for her usual walk round in the evening, and we went up through the Castle grounds.
There was a poster in the window of the bookshop, announcing a march "in order to get publicity for Hay-on-Wye at any cost", led by:
"Peter Harris, from Boz Books
Paul Harris, from Oxford House Books
Leslie Arrowsmith, from the Cinema Bookshop
and Rob Soldatt"

This was the first I'd heard of it. The last I knew, Richard was organising a march with Arthur Scargill - who now seems not to be coming. The march is supposed to be in protest against "giving the name and fame of Hay to Rupert Murdoch", this being a reference to Sky sponsoring the Hay Festival.

I shan't be going. I have no particularly strong feelings either way about Rupert Murdoch or Sky - and Richard didn't ask me before he put his posters up. Also he mis-spelt nearly all the names (though I am used to having my sex changed - it happens all the time!).
Actually, I couldn't go anyway - he doesn't say where the protest march is going to start from.

Oh, and when he went round to Oxford House Books with a copy of the poster, he dropped a fiver as he left - if he wants to pick it up, Paul has it safe for him.

No comments: