Thursday 6 January 2011

Architectural Project

I got interviewed today!
A nice young man called Daryl Robbins came to meet me at work, to ask me a few questions for his architectural thesis, which was fun. He said that he's interested in the way people use the spaces they inhabit - so, for instance, could I tell him about any local rituals like the Boxing Day Hunt meeting at the Clock Tower, or midnight at New Year's Eve. I mentioned Hay-on-Fire, too and, of course, we talked about the Festival.
Looking at the map of Hay he had brought with him, he asked about all the footpaths seeming to converge on the school. That one's a mystery to me, because the footpaths were there before the school was!
He also left a box with us for people to write down anecdotes about Hay, and whether they were visitors or residents, and what book they were reading or buying and why.
I think it's a lovely idea, and very Hay.
He said that, once he had decided on Hay as the subject of his thesis, he worried that no-one would talk to him when he got here! In fact, just the opposite has happened, and everyone he's talked to has given him other names of people he should talk to.

No comments: