Saturday 22 January 2011

"Please Move"

I was standing near the horse trough on Broad Street yesterday, waiting for a lorry to negotiate the corner before I scampered across the road with Islay in my arms to visit Broad Street Books (she's far too slow to attempt the crossing under her own steam unless it's really, really quiet now).
There was a car parked on the double yellow lines, and as the lorry turned the corner the back of it just clipped the car. The driver of the car was there - she winced.
"That's why you don't park there," I said.
"It was only temporarily," she said.
"Doesn't matter," I said. "Double yellow lines, and the stripe on the pavement." I pointed after the lorry. "And that's why!"
"Oh, well, I'm moving now," she said.

This morning, I walked Islay down the hill towards the vet's, and there was a white van parked right on the corner of the side road down to the new houses at Millbank - which is also illegal parking. It's a local van - I've often seen it parked on Broad Street. I was thinking of writing "Don't Park Here," in the dirt on the side of the van, but I saw that someone had got there before me. "Please Move" was written on the door.

5 comments:

Eigon said...

The white van has been there all weekend - politeness obviously doesn't pay!

Anonymous said...

Let his tyres down then! He may be there for longer while he pumps them up, but I guess might find somewhere else to park should he ever come back.

We have similar problems in our village during busy times, or at certain places. Car parks and space, but people have to be parked as close as possible to their destination and so will not use them.

I dunno, I think some folk have forgotten what their legs are for. Saw one chap spend ten minutes de-icing his car to then drive to the newspaper shop and back again, which was a minute's walk from his house. Daft!

JB

Eigon said...

I must say, I was tempted to let his tyres down! He's still there now, Monday evening.

Eddie86 said...

Occasionally I wish it was possible to take a picture and send it off to the traffic warden. Parking opposite the turning to the bridge by the trough is my personal bug bear - can slow the whole town down

Anonymous said...

i saw a car back end torn off by a lorry making that turn ... it too was parked on double yellows ... bad spot for some illegal parking ... there are better places ;-)