Friday 1 January 2016

New Year's Day Treat

I gave myself a good start to 2016 by going to the Bookshop Cinema to see Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
The cinema was full - it was the second showing of the day - and there were a good number of children there. They weren't noisy or distracting, though - they were as caught up in the film as I was.
I'd heard good things about the film, and I wasn't disappointed - and the nice thing was that it was one of those films where people talked to each other as they left the cinema, to share how much they'd enjoyed it.

In 1977, I went to see the very first Star Wars film, in Manchester city centre. It was one of the first times I'd been into the city centre on the bus on my own, and I took my little sister with me. The queue was out of the front door of the cinema and right up the alley round the side, and it was one of the most exciting things I'd ever seen on the big screen. I came out thinking I could fly an X-wing!
The new film took me right back to the seventies.
They Got it Right.

No comments: