Thursday 18 April 2019

A Good Night Missed - and A Good Night Enjoyed

"We looked for you at the Baskerville last night," a customer said this afternoon. They've been to Baskerville Hall before, and enjoy the music evenings there.
It seems I missed a really good night - Rob the guitarist was there with his son Joe, who has a learning disability, and the lady I was talking to was pleased to see how Joe was accepted by the other performers - he plays his tambourine or drum, and sometimes dances. She praised the quality of the musicians, too - another guitarist had brought his sons, who accompanied him on guitar and percussion, and there were singers and recorder playing - and one lady, a guest at the hotel, sang in Chinese.

I was watching the sun go down from a field on the edge of Hay, nibbling a kebab from the barbeque, which turned into a little campfire as the evening grew darker, and listening to a pheasant calling from the trees, and the stream babbling nearby. The moon was full, and came up as the sun went down, so it wasn't completely dark.
My sister and her family had come to visit, and we were sitting by their campervan and chatting. When the night got cooler, we moved inside, and it was lovely to catch up with her, and see the holiday photos, and hear how well my nephew is doing in the Scouts (he's about to become a Young Leader).

Now they've headed up to Snowdonia for the Easter weekend - and next week, I'll be back at the Baskie.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not mentally handicapped! This term hasn't been in use since 1980's. Please use learning disabled. A person has a learning disability or learning disaìbilties.

Eigon said...

My apologies for being out of date - the thing is, I don't know exactly what's wrong with Joe. It's none of my business. So I was looking for a term that was fairly general. I will try to remember to use learning disability in the future.

Eigon said...

Updated (in every way).

Anonymous said...

Many thanks Lesley.