Saturday 13 April 2019

Visitors from the Past

Before I came to Hay, I was an archaeologist, and I've managed to keep in touch (Christmas cards and so on) with some of the people I used to dig with.
Yesterday, some of them came to visit me - a couple who got married at about the same time I did (we did three weddings in three weeks!), their teenage son and his girlfriend, and another Castle Mall digger.
It's a slightly scary thought that I haven't seen them for the best part of thirty years (where did all that time go?), and I'd certainly never met their teenage son.
But they don't seem to have changed much, apart from being a bit greyer, and we still got on really well.

I took them to Booths Café for lunch. There was a wait of 15 minutes for a table, so we went off and found the archaeology section to browse. None of them work in archaeology any more, and they told me about a few other Castle Mall diggers who were doing other things now.
The food was delicious, and there was plenty of tea.

Then we wandered round the town. They liked Haymakers - and they loved the Fudge Shop! They had been sent off on holiday with strict instructions from various aunties to bring fudge back with them, and they got an interesting selection together. The teenage son and his girlfriend spent some time in Satoris, looking at the candles.
It was a bit disappointing that I couldn't show them the Castle, as it's shrouded in plastic, but it'll make a good excuse for them to come back and visit again. I could show them the medieval town wall, down below the Globe, and the route it took down to the river from there (more or less along the middle of Wyeford Road).

No comments: