Tuesday 2 April 2019

Saxon Wall in Hereford

The Hereford Times has a regular feature for walks round the area, and at the end of February the choice was a walk round Hereford.
One item on the list caught my eye - down St Owen's Street, not far from the Barrels pub, are the only Saxon stone defence works currently visible in England. They were built on the orders of Aethelflaed, Lady of the Mercians and daughter of King Alfred.

Last week I needed to go into Hereford, so I decided to try to find the wall.
The instructions in the Hereford Times said that the wall was behind a block of flats at the corner of St Owen's Street and Cantilupe Street, but I walked up and down there without success. Then I cut back towards St Owen's Street along Mill Street, and there was the block of flats. I wandered nonchalantly through the entrance to the car park at the back - and there was the wall!

No comments: