Thursday 2 January 2020

Singing in the New Year

I don't normally mention the acoustic music sessions at Baskerville Hall, because I go nearly every week and saying that I enjoyed the music would get a bit repetitive (because I always do enjoy the music).
But this week's session was actually on New Year's Day, and we started the year as we mean to go on, with a mix of older popular music, folk, poetry, guitars, autoharp, bagpipes and a variety of percussion. We were in the Music Room, which is a lovely venue.
I'm still keeping my TV Theme of the Week going, mostly by commemorating someone in show business who has died recently - this week I sang Up on the Roof in honour of Kenny Lynch, who was on TV a lot in the 60s and 70s, singing and doing comedy.
There was a new chap who sang a song in Geordie dialect, while being given a critical stare by Brian, who actually grew up in Wallsend - but he said he'd be back with his guitar. There were old favourites like the Asteroid Song from Bob's new album (he brought along a stuffed brontosaurus for it, one of his Christmas presents), and the ultimate Everyone-Join-In song, House of the Rising Sun, as well as Nigel singing Delia and Les Coveney's Bones of Tom Paine. There were new songs, too - I don't think we've ever had Dark Side of the Moon before.
There was also a couple who are about to get married and go off on a honeymoon cruise - she sang a heartbreaking song about horses that were killed at the end of the First World War because they were going to be abandoned while the men were shipped home. He sang less traumatic traditional songs including the Creole girl from Pontchartrain.
The chips at 9pm were very good, as usual, though I had to make do with the Shipyard beer, since the two cask ales (they serve Butty Bach and Wye Valley from the Wye Valley Brewery) had run out.
I'm looking forward to a lot more good music and good company in the New Year.

No comments: