Friday 27 March 2020

Clapping for the NHS

My neighbour rang me yesterday evening to ask if I was going out on the doorstep at 8pm. She explained that she wanted to clap for the NHS, to show her support.
I didn't go out - I felt very uncomfortable with the idea. In the end, there were about 6 people in Broad Street, though I believe there were lots more in other parts of Hay.
It's a lovely gesture - but what the NHS needs at the moment is proper protective clothing, enough equipment to do their jobs, and proper funding after years of hospital closures and lack of staff. They don't even have changing rooms at hospitals any more where staff can change into their uniforms, and staff have to take their uniforms home to wash them where the hospitals used to do that laundry.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could not agree more wholeheartedly with your comments on the “clapping for the NHS silliness”.
I am a retired oncology ward sister and worked for 40 years for the NHS, proudly.
The hard working, dedicated NHS employees, across all disciplines, don’t need a round of applause, they need decent wages, and good working conditions. Full protection against Covid19, in our current situation, and proper respect from the public at all times.
The public generally should be taking responsibility for their own health and well being, helping the AMAZING NHS, in any way we can.
Without them we would be in desperate trouble.
So I too did not stand in the street clapping and feeling virtuous.
But I have done, and will continue to campaign for better conditions and pay for the hardest working people in this country.

Anonymous said...

I support much of the comment made by Anonymous. However NHS workers are ONE of the most hardworking sectors of working people. There are others too, even during these extremely challenging times.