Sunday 6 November 2022

Kalamazoo and Lavender

 It was one of those "only in Hay" moments.  I went into the Farmer's Lavender shop by the Clock Tower, looking for inspiration for Christmas presents.

As I went in, I could hear big band music.  A group of people were clustered round the counter, watching something on a laptop, and I recognised the tune.

"Come and watch with us if you like," they said.

The film clip they were watching was black and white, and 1940s vintage, and the big band was playing Kalamazoo.  We sang along with the vocalists, and watched the tap dancing sequence in awe at the skill of the dancers, wincing occasionally as they did the splits and bounced straight up again.

The lady behind the counter said that one of the customers watching was from Kalamazoo.

I didn't get any ideas for presents, but I was humming the Girl from Kalamazoo for the rest of the day!

No comments: