Saturday 28 June 2008

Busy weekend

All sorts of events going on this weekend.
Yesterday, the British Legion held a Veterans' Day - a party for any ex-serviceman or woman in the area. It seemed to be very well attended.
Kilvert's has chosen this weekend to launch their new menu - an interesting selection of fish dishes, when I looked at the sign.
There's a garage sale at George House, by the Cinema Bookshop.
And there's jousting over the river at Clyro. People keep asking me if I'm involved (my wierd hobby of historical re-enactment being fairly well known) but it's not a group I've ever seen in action. They've been to Clyro before, though, several times, so I should think they must put on a good show.

The market square is taken up today with the Food Fair, in a big marquee.
They've got several local breweries, whisky and cider on sale, as well as goat's cheese and goat sausages (this stall was Islay's favourite - lucky I remembered to bring her lead), wild boar bacon, chocolates, apple juice, bread, jams, honey and chutneys, herb plants and lots more. There were several fast food stalls (Celia's oriental stall was Islay's second favourite - people had dropped bits), and Llanfaes ice cream.
As well as the food, there was a stall selling items made out of recycled bottles, including marvellous stained glass designs, and the Brecknock Wildlife Trust was there too.
And as if that wasn't enough, there was entertainment. I saw a couple in evening dress playing an accordian and a fiddle, a male voice choir in smart maroon blazers (probably Talgarth, I think) and the Brecon Town Concert Band, who were all very good.

No comments: