Thursday 5 June 2008

"Do Deformed Rabbit, it's my Favourite"

That's what it felt like, anyway, as I began to learn crochet at the Stitch n Bitch meeting this evening!
For those that don't know, the title is a quotation from Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels, and refers to the old game of making shadows on the wall in the shape of animals.
So, there's my hand, doing 'deformed rabbit' with the wool between my fingers, and there's the crochet hook in my other hand, and before I know it, I'm doing a chain, and then a circle, and then a double stitch and finally a triple stitch. I'm very proud of myself! I've even dug out an old anthology of 1970s crafts that has crochet ideas in it (though I don't think I'll be trying the bikini!)

Meanwhile, it seems to have been a day of small accidents. I nearly walked out under a car on the way to work, the computer at work wasn't co-operating, and at lunch-time I was walking down Belmont Road when a John Jones lorry was coming up. There's been a steady stream of John Jones lorries taking soil away from the Millbank/Underhill's site on Broad Street, and this one was doing it's best to squeeze past a Council van parked just outside the Council Chambers while the men did some work on the road.
There was a loud crunch. I thought the lorry had gone into the wall of the house - but it managed to inch through the gap very slowly, revealing what had actually gone crunch. The weight of the wheel had cracked a manhole cover into pieces on the pavement.

No comments: