Monday 16 June 2008

Good Deed for the Day

The other week, several people did good turns for me of one sort or another. Today it was my turn to be a Good Samaritan.

Yesterday, someone phoned up the bookshop where I work to ask if he'd left his jumper there. We had a good search, but couldn't find it. And then, on my way home in the evening, I saw it in Castle Street, outside Lucinda's hairdressers. Someone had hung it up on the drain pipe, so I could see the logo on the front of it.
This morning, I rummaged in the rubbish bin to find the note with the chap's phone number on it, and he's delighted! He's coming in tomorrow to pick it up, all the way from West Wales. We would have posted it to him, but he wanted to visit the bookshops again anyway, and this gave him a good excuse.

This evening I was walking home when I passed a lady who lives on Carlsgate. She was standing at her front gate, looking terribly worried. "Can you help me? I've got an emergency!"
Of course, I went in with her.
She has just been given a new computer, a laptop, and has had one lesson on it so far - some of which was taken up with learning how to open the lid. She hadn't even realised that there was a difference between turning the computer on, and being on-line. Earlier this evening, her son phoned her from his holiday in France, and asked her to look up the weather forecast for where he was staying. This was completely beyond her, and she was dreading him phoning back!
So I found the information for her, and then I sat her down and made her do it again for herself. She's written copious notes, so she can find Google again for herself when she needs to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh good, that guy called our bookshop too, but we looked and no jumper...glad he gets it back!! and good job giving computer lessons..new business in hay???? LOLwyvyzae