Saturday 26 September 2009

Climate Action Carnival

Off to Hereford this morning, with several purposes in mind.

On the last Saturday of every month up to December, when the UN Climate Change Summit takes place in Copenhagen, a local group of concerned individuals are holding a Carnival in Hereford High Town, each with a different theme. Today's was local food production.
So I was going along to get involved with that, and I was wearing Parliamentarian kit because the climate change people said they wanted people to come in costume - and I thought I could kill two birds with one stone by also taking along some leaflets for the King's Execution to give out on my travels.

I walked up from the bus station towards the town square, and the first thing I saw was market stalls. In the middle of the square there was a vast array of delicious looking Italian food, with Italian flags flying - but where was the Climate Change Carnival? Ah, yes, squeezed into a corner by Marks and Spencers was a little stall, a microphone, and a couple of bikes. It's typical really that something so important should be given so little recognition.
They did their best, though. There was a poet and a musician (who sang Wonderful, Wonderful Copenhagen with new words about the climate change summit), and a samba band led the procession round the pedestrianised bits of Hereford town centre. I found myself waving a little green flag, a sense of rhythm not being one of my strong points.
(Their website is at www.climateactioncarnivalhereford.info )

I couldn't stay for the film and talk at the Shire Hall, as I had to get back for the bus, but it was a fun morning out, and I shall be going along again for Hallowe'en, all Gothed up!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lesley
Did you know that someone has put up Royalist posters all around the Buttermarket.
I hope they'll leave them up as it will all add to the fun and hopefully the publicity.
I've also heard a rumour that some Royalists are going to turn up i costume!