Friday 25 September 2009

It's not Easy, Being a Postman in Hay

There's a new postman doing the round, and the other day, I saw him standing outside in the road, scratching his head as he looked at the address on a letter he was holding.
Being a helpful soul (and nosy), I went out to him.
"Where's the Tanner's Arms?" he asked.
Ah. I pointed to a nearby building that is now divided up into flats. There is no sign up at the door saying it is the Tanner's Arms, and the building doesn't look as if it were ever a pub in the past.

He needed some more help the next day, when he delivered a letter to me that should have gone to Newport Street. This happens quite regularly with different postmen - and I don't think there is a street sign anywhere for Newport Street (I could go out and look, but I'm feeling idle).

There's a lot in Hay that either isn't labelled, or needs local knowledge like that.

"The management don't help," the postman said. He was only doing this round for a week, before being moved off somewhere else for a couple of weeks - so when he came back to Hay, he'd have forgotten it all again.

No comments: