Saturday 19 September 2009

Transition Towns Transport Day

There was lots going on in the Buttermarket and the Market Square when I went up to have a look. I took the old (gent's) bike I'd been given to have a service, as they were doing free servicing for the day. I knew there wasn't much wrong with it, but I've never had an 18 speed bike before, and I needed someone to explain to me how they worked in words of one syllable (I think I understand it now). The girl from Drover Holidays was there, and they now have a workshop where they will repair bikes - you could also get a 20% off voucher to use with them later if you couldn't bring your bike along today.
They had a lot of good information about cycle trails and walking routes and buses in the Buttermarket, and a chap with a stall about more eco-friendly driving habits. Of course, a lot of it was leisure use of bike or walking - and I'd quite like more emphasis to be placed on essential bike and bus use, since I don't have a car to reduce the use of. There was a bicycle powered smoothie maker, too. There was some information about car sharing, too.
Outside, the Dial-a-Ride buses were parked up, along with the electric bikes (though they weren't parked up for long because people kept having a go on them). There was also a solar powered car, with the bonnet up and a chap explaining how it all worked.
As well as all that, there was a stall with ideas for general energy saving around the home, solar panels, facts about wind farms and so on. And a clown who rode a bike while wearing stilts, and also had a little tiny bike and a penny farthing.
And there was the fancy dress bike ride for the kids (and a few adults). There was a big turn out for that, with a steward and a police car at Heol-y-dwr corner to stop the traffic for them as they went down the hill to the start of the cycle route along the river. I got up to the square again just as they were coming back, and the 'knight in shining armour' won the fancy dress prize of a cycle helmet.
It was a very good event, and they obviously put a huge amount of work into it.

No comments: