Tuesday 15 July 2014

Dowsing Equipment

...or - you can get anything in Hay if you look for it!

I want to go back to Mouse Castle to try some dowsing, just to see what happens. Years ago, I had a book by TC Lethbridge on the use of a pendulum in dowsing - he had approached the subject scientifically, and experimented until he found that different lengths of string for the pendulum gave results for different materials. Water, for instance, can be found at a frequency/string length of twenty six and a half inches (he died in 1971, so this was all worked out before metric measurements were used). The longest length that gave a result was 40 inches, which denoted death, and also north.

When I was an archaeologist, I tried dowsing with a pendulum on one of the sites I worked on, and found underground water which was later confirmed by the resistivity survey of the field, so I know I have some aptitude for it.
My thought was to start at 40 inches in the area where my Young Man felt all tingly, and see what the pendulum picked up, shortening it as I went.
The pendulum I used as an archaeologist was a fairly weighty ear-ring in the shape of a globe, on a piece of cotton - that's long gone, so I thought I'd have a look on line.

There's a lot of magical paraphanalia out there!
A lot of modern pendulums seem to be made of various crystals - or even seven different crystals put together to represent the chakras. I didn't want anything like that. Chakras are all very well, but they're not something I'm really familiar with.
Other pendulums were made of various woods, and they were quite nice, but I did feel that I'd like to handle them before buying.

So I went to Satori on the Craft Centre.
They sell quite a lot of crystals, and as I'd suspected, they also had a range of pendulums, including a rather dinky silver coloured one that looks like a plumb-bob, for about the same price as the ones I'd been looking at on line, but minus the postage. It comes on a short chain, so all I have to do is add a longer string. I've also printed out TC Lethbridge's table of string lengths, and a basic introduction to dowsing from the British Society of Dowsers.
So now I'm all set to get back up there.

No comments: