Friday 31 July 2009

Changes at the Bookshop (and not for the better)

I met one of the staff at the Bookshop on the Pavement this morning. This is the shop that has just sold the lower part of the building - which is going to be antiques, apparently.
She was on her way to her last day at work there. Five of the staff have been made redundant - and the owners have managed to wriggle out of paying redundancy money. According to another source (I've been gossiping all morning, since I couldn't get into the launderette) the owners made everyone re-apply for their jobs, so of course for redundancy purposes, the clock re-starts there.
Out of the 12 staff who worked there last year, only two are left - all the rest are new - and the owners are bringing in two new supervisors from outside Hay.
(and I keep saying 'the owners' because I'm not sure who owns the Bookshop any more).
I don't think I shall be directing any customers down to that shop in future.

1 comment:

Drifting Star said...

If those five members of staff have been there for more than two years they should be entitled to redundancy payments, which are dependent on the length of time with an employer, and not the time in a specific job. They shoud get some legal advice.

And we won't be shopping there again either.