Sunday 19 July 2009

Huntington Fete

I had such fun there last year that I was very pleased to be asked back this year - and they gave me a chair, and a spot in the corner of the marquee this time! I was dressed up in my full medieval costume, including the wimple that makes me look like a nun until people notice the long dagger at my belt! Further down the marquee was a proper spinner, who had brought her wheel - I knew her from the Wool and Willow shop, so it was fun to show the public both sorts of hand spinning and talk about the differences between them (yes, a hand spindle is slower than a wheel, but a wheel ties you to one place - you can't go wandering off).
The vicar's wife opened the fete, the vicar being busy conducting a wedding. At the end of her speech, which we all clapped enthusiastically, a little girl came running to me and presented me with a posy of flowers. "How lovely! Thank you!" I said - and then noticed the little girl's mother, coming over with a slightly panic-stricken expression. I laughed. "These aren't meant for me, are they?" I said, and handed them over. The little girl had been told to give them to the vicar's wife, and she'd looked around the crowd and obviously thought I fitted the bill better than the smart lady in the mauve suit.
So it was another thoroughly enjoyable afternoon - I hope they invite me again next year!

No comments: