Saturday 25 July 2009

Good Luck at the Launderette

When Islay was a younger and a fitter dog, I used to put the washing in the machine and take her for a long walk, coming back when the machine had finished.
These days, I take a book, and Islay has a lie down.
So I was there when the German couple came in to do their washing. They were walking the Offa's Dyke Path, and after five days they felt the need for clean clothes. The machines in the launderette are pretty basic - as long as you know how they work, so I offered up some advice as they looked puzzled, and gave them a scoop of my washing powder.
The lady tried to give me some money for it, and when I refused, she dug into a pocket of her rucksack and brought out a little plastic folder full of four-leafed clovers.
"My husband has a very good eye - he finds a lot," she said, and gave me one.
I think that's a better reward than 20p for the powder!

1 comment:

Jill Ramsey said...

Can't count how many conversations I've had in that launderette!

One lady mistook me for a worker with Dander's Fun Fair one time!

Another lady was mightily (and loudly) unhappy with the state of the facilities, blamed the owner for not keeping up the property.

I usually bring a book to read while the laundry washes and dries, or head down to Old Stables Tea Room for a cream tea where I'll have a chat with someone else.

Washing clothes is always an interesting way to pass the time, and you never know who you'll meet at the launderette.